Nobody wants to call an ambulance. However, ambulances provide important services especially for the elderly. That’s why it’s important to know, “Does Medicare cover ambulance services?” Keep reading to find out.

Does Medicare Cover Ambulance Services?

Medicare Part B covers ambulance services that are deemed medically necessary. For example, in most cases, your Medicare coverage wouldn’t cover the costs of an ambulance ride for a broken bone. 

However, it would cover the costs of an ambulance ride when you’re in shock or unresponsive. Essentially, if there’s a valid medical reason for why you need to get to the hospital quickly or be monitored on the way there, then Medicare will almost definitely cover your ambulance costs.

This is true regardless of which ambulance service you call upon. For example, your ambulance ride in a plane or helicopter can be covered by Medicare if it’s medically necessary. Non-emergency ambulance services are covered by Medicare for the same reasons. However, you will need a written order from your physician in order to qualify for coverage.

Paying for Ambulances with Medicare

The specific amount you pay for ambulance services will depend on the exact type of Medicare coverage you have. That being said, those with Medicare Part B coverage can expect to pay about 20% of their ambulance bills, while Medicare will cover the remaining 80%. You’ll be responsible for this amount even if your ambulance ride has been deemed medically necessary.

Ambulance Services Offered

Ambulances offer a wide variety of services to respond to the varying needs of the people they serve. Understanding these is key to understanding whether your Medicare health insurance will cover your ride in an ambulance. There are many reasons why you may need to call an ambulance.

The most common service offered by ambulances is emergency response. When you have an urgent health issue that requires immediate attention, you call an ambulance to get you to the nearest hospital as quickly as possible. While you ride towards the hospital, the EMTs on board can administer basic treatments to ensure you make it there in a condition that allows doctors to assist you.

You may also need ambulance transportation in an airplane or helicopter in extreme situations. This is typically done when traveling by ground would pose dangers to your health. For example, maybe your injury occurred in a remote location or you face obstacles like distance and traffic that would threaten your life if you traveled by road.

Ambulances can also transport individuals to the hospital in non-emergency situations. You may need to rely on this service if your health requires monitoring or you have a condition that makes traveling via a standard vehicle risky.

If you’d like to learn more about Medicare health insurance and ambulance services, or curious to know what else does Medicare cover, consider reaching out to Time For 65. We’re happy to provide you with more specific information based on your needs once you tell us a bit more about what you’d like to know. To get started, just fill out this form or give us a call. We look forward to hearing from you.

Get Your Free 2022 Guide
to Medicare